The plan ... well really there is no plan, but there is a good reason ...

Watch out Europe here we come. After working in travel it's time to put in action what I've learnt!

I can't take you all with me but here's the next best thing - share our travel highlights and fun experiences as we check out as much of Europe as possible over the next 10 weeks.

Friday 17 August 2007

Krakow 2 days in

What can I say about Krakow.....after a flight from Gatwick, which had me wondering why all those weeks ago I booked a flight so early in the morning when I have ten weeks to do what the hell I want, the arrival into Krakow was a delight.

The airport itself is small and not intimidating but also pretty organised too, which for a European airport is saying something. After pottering around for a little while we caught a direct bus to Krakow train station remembering to not only buy a ticket for ourselves but buy one for our luggage too (seems a bit much, but at 50p a pop but I wasn't going to argue).

The journey takes little more than half an hour and within ten minutes of alighting at a random stop we found our bearings and ten minutes later found our hostel (hostel Giraffe). We checked in, dumped our bags and headed into the main square. After meandering down a few roughly paved streets bordered by typical 5 story communist style buildings (now thankfully decorated an array of different colours) we came to a large clear square surrounded by some of the most beautiful buildings I've seen for some time. In the centre was the cloth house within which craftsmen of all sorts plied their trade.

We spent the rest of the day wandering around taking in the sites such as the royal castle, before grabbing a bite to eat in an awesome underground restaurant (I'll get back to you with the name), then returning back to the hostel to crash. On walking in the door we were greeted by a nervous looking reception girl who informed us that due to a grave error our room had been over booked and we were to be move the following day. Me and Nina have worked in travel long enough to see the funny side of this and in between sniggers we let them know it was no probs.

TTFN